Sunday, March 21, 2010

Anyone else feel like this?

When I was in elementary school, my teacher taught us a little bit about the vikings. It was super interesting, but at the same time, I was kind of perplexed. I went home, and my dad proceeded to tell me something about my family being of viking origin. For a while, I was convinced that my family was Scandinavian in some fashion.
Then, my dad proceeded to tell me about my Welsh family history, Mic'Mac history, French... etc.
And if anyone knows anything, family history is not something that's easy to research either. It completely sucks to have one of the most common names in modern history (there was another girl with the same first name, middle name, and last name as me in my school), and I can't find anything on my family.
Uurgh! Does anyone have this same problem?
Maybe I should start over again, and have a new name. :>

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to genealogy. I would HIGHLY recommend http://www.ancestry.com/, that's what I personally use.

    I typed your last name Skye in and this is possibly what it means (take it with a grain of salt though because unless you do the research you won't know if it is right) - "English: unexplained. Perhaps a respelling of the Orcadian name Skae, Skea, from the lands of Skea in Deerness." Orcadian is a Scottish dialect. You can take a look for yourself here: http://www.ancestry.com/facts/skye-family-history.ashx

    And then I also found this website: http://wiki.name.com/en/Skye

    I would offer to do you family tree for you but doing genealogical research is a little bit invasive, you have know name, birthday, parents names and birthday, grandparents, etc. Typically I need information going back to the early 1900s in order to trace an acestor back to their country of origin. But if you signed up for the website, even just the free trail & you had question on how to do things I would totally help you with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really appreciate it!
    My family name is actually Davis, Skye is my chosen name. While it's not so difficult to find things on the name Davis, it's difficult to find things about MY family tree.
    Thanks for it anyways! :D

    ReplyDelete